google.com, pub-6771220306917688, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0
Latest Articles
Loading...

Info Post
Well, this post was born as a result of how I tried and protected my poetry blog "Rhythmus-Inside My Poem Book" from  Plagiarism .So what is Plagiarism? Plagiarism means duplication of your web content .Your contents which is copyrighted in your name is used somewhere else in the Internet without your consent or permissions. Sometimes your work is displayed as their work which is annoying because we aren't credited for it.And when the more of our works has been copied by the same website , then we must know that it is time for us to act .I have been a victim of plagiarism and as a result I have learned many new tricks to stay alert.

Before proceeding further , do note the difference between a plagiarized and a non-plagiarized content ?

Answer: Check for the Copyrights .Some people allow the contents / photos to be copied but some may not .They would have clearly indicated that they own the contents in their website which means if you are to use them, it is a good way to ask them permission to use them in your website/blogs. Many of them will agree to it just asking for a link back option. This is not a plagiarism.

But, when some one objects and they also question you about it  (or) you have copied the contents and tell the world that it belongs to you , then your an perfect example of a plagiarizer.

OK , so how did I find out that my content was plagiarized?

Answer : Through Google search . Recently , I have published an ebook "Rhythmus" which I keep track for getting details of it on big portals so that I can update them into my blog. This search brought into light that my content was copied word by word without any credits/ linkback to me.Remember if it was just one, I may get flattered but it was more than ten posts. And that particular person was updating his website (WP) every month with my posts. This made me sick and I commented on his blog and even mailed him to stop this act.I gave him one month time to act but in vain .NO Response at all from that person.I was taken aback .

Registering with "Creative Common License" helps to keep track of your work .Copyscape helps to find any similar contents on the Internet and helps you find who used your contents.But still , they just defend your rights with a banner but not actually prevent from being copied.

I researched the Internet and found some codes which can temporarily keep your work protected .

Steps:

1.Disabling Right -Click : 
Right-click is very use full of opening links in a new tab without losing the original page.But the same right -click has the "copy and paste "option will lets others to easily transfer our work into a word or text  processor .Use this code on your Add Gadgets - Add HTML/Javascript

Code to disable right click 


<script language="JavaScript">
<!--
//Disable right mouse click Script
//By Maximus (maximus@nsimail.com) w/ mods by DynamicDrive
//For full source code, visit http://www.dynamicdrive.com

var message="Sorry -Copyright Contents!";
///////////////////////////////////
function clickIE4(){
if (event.button==2){
alert(message);
return false;
}
}
function clickNS4(e){
if (document.layers||document.getElementById&&!document.all){
if (e.which==2||e.which==3){
alert(message);
return false;
}
}
}
if (document.layers){
document.captureEvents(Event.MOUSEDOWN);
document.onmousedown=clickNS4;
}
else if (document.all&&!document.getElementById){
document.onmousedown=clickIE4;
}
document.oncontextmenu=new Function("alert(message);return false")
// -->
</script>

2.Disabling Selection :
The text selection is used for copying certain texts which are highly useful tools for learning and writing from Internet.It is also used for repetition works.As always, like every positive having a negative ,this mode of selection helps the content stealer to steal your contents easily to his/her own blog or website

Code for disabling selection:
Paste this code after the </head> in your Design - Edit HTML - Edit Template .Kindly download your template before proceeding further.

<script language="JavaScript1.2">
function disableselect(e){
return false
}
function reEnable(){
return true
}
//if IE4+
document.onselectstart=new Function ("return false")

//if NS6
if (window.sidebar){
document.onmousedown=disableselect
document.onclick=reEnable
}
</script>

The above two codes are highly helpful.But, if the other person is technologically sound,he/she can find some other way to copy .One way is through FEEDS ( links burned through Feed Burner).

But , I found another effective way which proved me beneficial .See DMCA Complaints below


Learn More on Avoiding Plagiarism in order to protect your web page 
Links:
  1. Do a GOOGLE SEARCH for your topics and your names
  2. Use free PLAGIARISM CHECKER 
Since I am using blogger for my blogs, I covered them from the blogger's point of view.Hope these helps .


PS: I have successfully eliminated the copyright content that has been copied from my blog by a WordPress blog by the final step DMCA Complaints

Read also : Learn to avoid Plagiarism - the next big step



6 comments:

  1. these 2 steps are enough to protect?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you did not read the post completely! ...they are few basic steps only

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous29 May, 2011

    you can work around the no right click option by viewing source then copy and paste.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @anonymous - hmm yes..kindly check Avoid Plagiarism for more details on your query

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Uma.
    I was directed here by my blog friend Tarunima (http://crossroads-tarunima.blogspot.com/).

    Thank you for providing this information. I found it very helpful and have in fact used the codes on my blog to protect my hard work.

    I have become your newest follower and am looking forward to reading more tips from you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will use it. Thanks for this Uma.

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for visiting Momscribe.com !
Your contribution is greatly appreciated.
Please feel free to subscribe to this blog either by Email or any methods listed on the right side of this content.

நன்றி ! மீண்டும் வருகை தாருங்கள் :)